Monday, August 10, 2009

Around the World: New England

Another photograph from the United States section of my new book, this one inspired by New England: New England Chowder and Fish Crackers.

I love a warm bowl of chowder on a cold fall day, but I don't like the heaviness of most cream-based soups. I wanted my recipe to be healthy and light, so I made my version of chowder with corn cream: cook fresh or frozen corn kernels in water, then blend and strain. Stir into a soup made with carrots, celery, onions, potato, mushrooms, and seasonings (including lots of white pepper!).

The Fish Crackers are a modified version of the Vegan Goldfish Crackers recipe I posted several years ago.

The entire New England menu also includes Boston Brown Bread Muffins with vegan cream cheese and a pear for dessert.

Link: Vegan Lunch Box Around the World.

12 comments:

Vic Robinson said...

Looks great! I miss New England!

Julia Eff said...

Sounds way better than my current lunch: microwaved soup cup and warm guacamole. blech. I'd kill to have some chowder.

vegan.in.brighton said...

Ooooh yum fish crackers.

The Voracious Vegan said...

Those fish crackers are just adorable! I loved clam chowder in my pre-vegan days so I can't wait to try your healthier and cruelty free version. Beautiful picture!

J. Lynne said...

I've just started the transition to dietary veganism and New England Clam Chowder is one of my favorite foods. You have me intrigued. Do you also have gumbo? (From my other hometown?)

Jennifershmoo said...

YES! There is an AMAZING gumbo recipe in my new cookbook, written by a friend who moved here from New Orleans and taught our local veg community how to make gumbo. It's so good -- both with and without the vegan sausage -- I could eat it every week.

:-9

Sacha said...

This looks absolutely delicious! I have already followed your links to the fish cookie cutter - I will have to try to recreate this spread for myself, very soon!

The Weber Family said...

Yum! As a kosher - keeping New Englander, I've always tried to find substitutes for clams...I'll have to try this! Yum!

AMJ217 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AMJ217 said...

Hello!

Just finished making the chowder! My husband refuses to eat mushrooms. Are the mushrooms supposed to mimic clams? Do you think the recipe will be okay without them? It simmering right now and smells devine!

I'll be making the caramel dip later this evening! Yum!

Jennifershmoo said...

Oh, I'm sure it will be just fine without the mushrooms. Maybe you could add some other veggies to make up for leaving them out?

AMJ217 said...

Hi,

It was fantastic! We live in RI and it's cool and rainy here today thanks to Hurricane Danny. The chowder was perfect and we know a little something about chowder here in RI! Great recipe...even without the mushrooms! A+ Can't wait to try Brown Bread next! :)